If you know me outside the blog – you know that I have a major sweet tooth. I love baking and I crave chocolate and candy WAY more than I do salty things. I would love to be one of those women that claim they’re more of a savory kind of gal, but hey, I’d just be lying to you and me.
Before I went vegan I didn’t so much mourn the fact that I wouldn’t be experiencing the taste of bacon anymore, or cheese on nachos, nothing like that. It was the harsh reality of having to throw away my old baking recipes and start experimenting with new ones. I had a cookie recipe that was to die for and I definitely had a small funeral in my mind over the fact that I won’t be able to make those again – RIP best cookies ever!! There have been some hits and misses in my baking since, but I’m adjusting and actually starting to love some of the results! I’m learning that vegan baking can 100% be just as delicious, if not more!!
So while I’m in my experimental phase, I thought I’d try out some of the vegan treats that Victoria has to offer and do a little review, rating them from least liked to best. Something I want to mention here is that I went in with a little bit of a bias that I had to discount for – there are treats on this list that come from places I have already done a food review for and I still love the heck out of them despite the fact that I didn’t choose their sugary concoction as best! Don’t listen to me – make a visit to one of the following locations and decide for yourself!
Without further ado:
5. Flashback Salted Caramel Square from Vegan Hippie-Chick Cafe – 1034 Fort Street. All sweets made in the cafe are all made in house and with lots of love by owner Karen R. The reason I chose this as last is due to my sweet tooth – I love salted caramel, but to me this square was that but without much sweetness to it. This could have been due to the chocolate top. Overall, I was expecting a little more sweetness. Beautiful squares though and one of my friends is a big fan of them, so it most likely comes down to personal taste!
4. Peanut Butter Cookie from The Cookie Guy – 1122 Blanshard Street. This one was tasty, but felt like it missed the mark a little. Was drier than I was expecting and could have been a bit more flavour. Also, I’m a huge fan of the fact that The Cookie Guy always features one vegan cookie every day – awesome – but didn’t love that they charge 50 cents more for vegan. Why? So your costs for sugar or egg-replacer might be more, but that shouldn’t affect your customer! Will still be back to try another cookie, but would like to see a change to the price.
3. Grama’s Carrot Cake, another from Vegan Hippie-Chick Cafe. A creation inspired by Karen’s late grandmother’s carrot cake recipe! I loved the flavour of the cake, but I felt that the texture wasn’t what I was expecting. Again I think this comes down to personal preference and I just love a smoother and lighter carrot cake. This one was dense and maybe a little heavy on the coconut as well.
2. Fruit-Loop Donut by Carrie Lynn Cupcakes found at The Very Good Butchers – Victoria Public Market, 1701 Douglas Street. These treats come all the way from Nanaimo, delivered 3-4 times a week at the VGB! Carrie Lynn is vegan herself and her business even comes with a passionate slogan – “Eat Cupcakes, Not Animals!”. This is obviously a donut, but I believe that she started off making the cupcakes and grew from there. I loved how moist the donut was – I’ve tried a couple vegan donuts in the past and both times they kind of tasted stale. The fruit loops on top were fun and overall I’m very impressed. excited to try more of her donuts soon!
1. The winner: Oreo Cupcake also by Carrie Lynn Cupcakes, also found at The Very Good Butchers. This was so rich and decadent and everything a cupcake should be. I’m going on record to say that it’s also the best cupcake I’ve ever had.
Now that I know about these cupcakes, it’s going to be really hard not making weekly trips for them. Restraint has never been my strongest quality and it’s doubly as tough when I know they’re at my favourite restaurant!!
Hope you enjoyed this weeks blog! I’ll be back next thursday with a review for somewhere just outside the city… any guesses?